50 And I said unto them: If God had commanded me to do all things I could do them. If he should command me that I should say unto this water, be thou earth, it should be earth; and if I should say it, it would be done.
51 And now, if the Lord has such great power, and has wrought so many miracles among the children of men, how is it that he cannot instruct me, that I should build a ship?
-1 Nephi 17: 50-51

Thursday, October 3, 2013

Before the Missionary Training Center

This is Don's Mom.  I wanted to record his last 48 hours with us and his trip to Utah before we start getting weekly letters from him.

We threw a going-away party for him at the community center.

The next morning he was set apart as a full-time missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.  



 It was awesome for his Grandma Black to be in town and able to be there for the special occasion!

The night before he left was busy packing his suitcases.  We hid Butterfingers throughout his suitcases and carry-on to surprise him when he opened his bags.


Saying goodbye at the airport was bittersweet.  We were sad to have him leave us -- but so excited about this exciting time for him.  

















We asked a friend, who recently got off his mission to TN and lives in Utah, if he would pick him up from the airport. "Elder" Barton served in our area for quite a while, and Don Jr went with him once a week to do missionary work local.  They became good friends.  It was so comforting to know he would be at the airport to greet Elder Sharp and be with him until he took him to the Missionary Training Center Wednesday.  
He took him to the Salt Lake Temple Tuesday night.


Wednesday morning they went to Denny's for breakfast, who apparently gives incoming missionaries free meals on Wednesday.  :)   They went to a couple stores for last-minute items he needed before beginning his mission.  They had some free time, so they went to the Provo Temple.  


At 11:00 am, Elder Sharp entered the Missionary Training Center, where he will be for the next six weeks.  Learning Portuguese and taught how to be a successful missionary.  I cannot wait to get his first letter about his experiences!  This is what "Elder" Barton said about this:  Look who I dropped off at the MTC today! So grateful I know this man; he is a powerful missionary.


"Elder" Alexander Barton called me right after Elder Sharp entered the MTC to let me know he was there and tell me about their 18 hours together.  He said the kindest things about Elder Sharp.  He is an instructor at the MTC and said anything I want to give Elder Sharp, let him know -- he would love an excuse to go visit Elder Sharp.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment