50 And I said unto them: If God had commanded me to do all things I could do them. If he should command me that I should say unto this water, be thou earth, it should be earth; and if I should say it, it would be done.
51 And now, if the Lord has such great power, and has wrought so many miracles among the children of men, how is it that he cannot instruct me, that I should build a ship?
-1 Nephi 17: 50-51

Monday, November 17, 2014

Promises, Miracles, and a New Focus

Mom, your email really helped me a lot.  (note: this past week 3 different young men and a young mom in Brazil sent me the sweetest messages about how much Elder Sharp has helped them and how much they appreciate him being there... I forwarded those to him so he could see what a positive impact he was having there in that ward.)  Something  I´ve discovered this week is that I´m really hard on myself.  I literally don't think I´m that great, but  I´m having to start looking at myself through other's eyes because mine aren't seeing that clearly.  So thank you very much for sending me that. I´ve been really stressed out this week about not baptizing. I think that's why I´m not seeing what I´m capable of because there's that voice in my head saying "You can't actually do this.  You aren't doing good.  You haven't even helped anyone.  You're not having any success." 

So this week I've been trying figure out what Heavenly Father wants me to do because I´ve been promised a few things.  I wasn't seeing God's side of the promise being done, so I was looking for what I needed to do for my part to be complete.  I realized the joy I feel when I help less-active members come back to church and realized that this is a success for a missionary, too.  Then we had a meeting with President Dalton, and he said a promise that really helped come to the conclusion that I need to work with the members more. (active and less-active)  He said "I promise you that if you reactivate a less-active member, you will baptize, too!  If you don't have anyone to teach, go to a less-active member's house and rescue them!" I was like alrighty then that's what we´ll do!   Elder Aguilar and I talked, and we both made a plan to work with only less actives and active members this week! I can´t wait to see the miracles and people coming to church again.  It´s gonna be great!

This week we did something called a blitz where we go to different missionaries' areas and just work - talking to everyone on the road, getting referrals, and then all the numbers and the results (numbers, new investigators, etc.) go to that companionship! It's really fun to do - like opening a new area! Well, we started to do that but it started to rain at 3:00 and we planned until 5:00, and with rain the blitz wouldn't have been as great.  So I thought to pray for it to stop, but I thought that'd be really ungrateful.  We've been praying for rain here... (we´re having a shortage of water here because of the heat and lack of rain) and now it had come and I´d ask it to stop... So I decided I´d ask for a pause till 5:00. Well, it stopped! And we had great blitz!!  Then at 5:00 on the dot BAM! the bottom dropped out!!  Haha it was a huge rain storm!!  It was really cool!!  I loved it!!  It really shows that God really does answer prayers. He´s our loving Heavenly Father... Why wouldn't He answer?!

I love y'all!
Elder Sharp

No comments:

Post a Comment